Thursday, July 17, 2008

Communism Sells; Shocks Capitalist Thinkers

I just read this article on CNN.com about the popularity of Che Guevara T-shirts. Why is it that some things become fashionable and others don't.

I've never understood any sort of "fashion" show. It could be because I'm not a homosexual; it could be because those in charge have no sense of fashion; I don't know. But why would someone want to wear any of these outfits? And now everyone from Hollywood's elite to middle school teenagers try to make a statement with their clothing.

There's no need to be compassionate and genuine anymore to make friends. You have that hip new purse and matching pumps to make with the in-crowd at work or school. As the once-beloved band Smashmouth said, "And just like fashion it's a passion for the with it and hip. If you got the goods they'll come and buy it just to stay in the clique."

1 comment:

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

I actually work in a company dedicated to fashion. I have sat in on runway shows (I was near the very back but I was there). Fashion is fashionable because those who care about fashion say something is fashionable. What do they say is fashionable, something that they are wearing and you are not. Since you don't know/care about fashion, your opinion doesn't count. Since theirs is the only opinion left on the table, it must be true. What happens if you then copy what they wear, they will wear something else and say you are behind the fashion, which is actually worse than not being fashionable at all. If you were never fashionable and never tried, ok you are beneath their contempt. But if you try and fail, you are exactly at the right level for their contempt.