Monday, August 11, 2008

What's Next? The Ku Klux Klan Bypass?

Sorry, it's another road trip post.

While passing through Columbia, South Carolina, I noticed one of the exits was for Strom Thurmond Boulevard. I realize this man was a longtime Senator for the state of South Carolina, but his long streak of racism is also well documented. This got me thinking what other far-from-noble street names our country may have.

I wonder in what state we would find Dr. Kevorkian Freeway. If traveling in Oregon would you find the Ted Bundy Memorial Highway?

Maybe I-55 in Mississippi is the Choctaw Indian Expressway (aka Trail of Tears). I'm sure there's no hard feelings in Oklahoma City anymore. There you can find Timothy McVeigh Drive.

Well, time for me to go. If I want that street in downtown Orlando to be named after me in 30 years, I have a long career of hate and oppression towards others ahead of me.

No comments: