Thursday, September 4, 2008

Women's Volleyball: The Perfect Spectator Sport (For Me)

Well at least until I go to a golf match.

The other night I went to the women's volleyball home opener against #2 ranked Stanford. Let's just say it looked like they deserved that ranking; or at least we deserved whatever shoddy one we had.

Before the match started we ran into the bracelet peddlers.

"Do you want to buy some bracelets that support orphans?" she asked.
"That's alright," I replied. "I already adopted five orphans."
"Oh is that true?" She didn't seem very convinced.
"Yeah they are back at home with the wife."

And then she walked away. My friend told me there's a special place in Hell for people like me. I think that if I have to listen to their pitch, the least they can do is listen to my made up excuse.

Anyways, we were there for the volleyball. They had to announce before the game started not to make crude references or something to that nature. I really didn't hear because I was too busy whistling and calling to the players.

I don't know what it is exactly, but there's just something about yelling at referees that is awesome. Maybe it's my disdain for authority figures. Perhaps it is my desire for fairness. Or it could be that I just need to take my pent-up rage out on something, so college referees are the most logical target.

Whatever the case may be, I think it's fun, my friends think it's hilarious (when they aren't distancing themselves from me), and it really fires up the 300 fans within shouting distance of me.

2 comments:

The cup is half full of something I don't like said...

I thought you were going to go with the outfits from the beach volley ball angle. Beach volley ball athletes always seem to be more attractive then court volley ball players, both of which are more attractive than women's soccer players.

Anonymous said...

You are making me laugh with your chronicle of yelling at sports matches.

I sent you an email. Did you get it?

aka Frog in North Georgia